“Come out, come out, whoever you are” – Easter 2B

John 20:19-31
When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.” Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name

If you have read me before you will know I am a helpless digger into etymological meanings. I just can’t help myself.
I have always been amazed by this resurrected Jesus who, when he comes to the disciples, isn’t thwarted by the fearfully locked doors.
Coming to the passage again, I decided to check out the Greek text referring to the locked door.  What I discovered was wonderful.

First I read that the Greek word for closed is “kleiso”.  As I stared at the screen and pronounced the word to myself, it sounded so familiar. “Kleiso”
There they were. The called ones, the disciples of Jesus, suffering post-traumatic stress to be sure, locked away, behind kleisoed doors.  John’s anti-semitic editorialising doesn’t really help either. “For fear of the Jews”, isn’t helpful because it wasn’t “the Jews” that had been the problem, it was the religio-political elite that had. What Borg and Crossan in “The Last Week” call the systems of dominance and oppression. “The Jews” suffered under these systems too.

So here John presents us with a closed room containing a closed communitity. “Kleiso”, closed by their fear.
It reminds me of the modern church.
Fearful of everthing.
Only now it isn’t “the Jews” of  John.   Ironically the modern church is ghettoed by our fears of “Muslims”, and “Gays” and “Abortionist baby killers”.  Closed rooms, closseted disciples, closed minds. It is dreadful what fear will do to disciples.

As I mused, I got to thinking about how gay and lesbian people talk about “coming out“.  Escaping from the closet of fear, and experiencing the freedom of that emergence.
I remembered a book  by Karl Popper I had read at University.  It was titled, “The Open Society” and I mourned that the church seems always to be the opposite, “The Closed Society”, overcome with fear.  Popper in The Open Society, examined the emergence of Democracy from Hellenistic to modern times.

It was then that I realised why “kleiso” the Greek word for closed, had niggled me.  It sounded so like another Greek word that is common in church usage. “Kleiso” is linked etymologically to “Ecclesia”, the Greek word that came to describe the church!

The Ecclesia (literally translated “not closed”) was “The Open Society” of Greek democracy. Not closed, unsealed, outed and free. The ecclesia was one of Greek society’s greatest gifts to the modern world. It was a concept that celebrated freedom from systems of dominance and oppression. How wonderful that the Church mothers and fathers chose Ecclesia- not closed, to describe the community of Jesus’ early followers.  In this upper room encounter it was clear that the tomb busting resurrected saviour was not to be cocooned by fear, and neither were the disciples to be.

That must be why Jesus breathed his life giving spirit-breath onto,(or was it into) them. It is as if he was saying to them “You are not to remain  ‘kleiso’ you are ‘ecclesia’. Come out!”

So I continue to be bemused.

I wonder if the ghettoed suspicious fearful church of 2012 can still feel the resurrection breath on our cheeks.  I have no doubt that the risen Jesus is still breathing on us. He isn’t stopped by closed doors. That isn’t the challenge to ecclesia.  It isn’t the doors as much as it is the closed minds and hearts that keep us in bondage.

“Breathe on us breath of God”

About these ads

14 Comments on ““Come out, come out, whoever you are” – Easter 2B”

1. Andre Buttner says:

Thank you, again, Peter, for your liberating words.

I am constantly amazed at the way in which fear is so dominant in the life of the church. We close ourselves (and by we I mostly mean “me”) to the God who sets free. Perhaps that is why we so often hear the words, “Don’t be afraid” in the scriptures.

Thank you!

• Peter says:

Hi Andre
      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment at The Listening Hermit.
      Ja Boet, the fear is the thing ‘ey?
      PW

2. Wonderful insights!

Also, the interlinear translations make the point that the Greek text translates “Jews” when it can actually be narrowed a bit more than that: (Ioudaios: Jewish, a Jew, Judea)… considering the long-standing “closed” attitude the south (Judah) felt for the lost tribes area of the north (Israel), it seems to me thismight be a reflection of John’s intent to make that distinction?

which actually reinforces his point about “kleiso”?

Peace, Love and Light this Easter season, and thank you!

3. Wonderful post, Peter!

4. Don Scrooby says:

Absolutely outstanding. Peter. Thanks

5. Peter, I agree with you points. Yes!
    I’d learned that ecclesia came from ex- and kalleo, meaning the “called out ones”. Those called out from the world. Which ever derivation one goes with (and they may be related), the points you make are still right on.
    I’m really worn out with churchianity – that confusion between God and the institution. Maybe it’s more churchy-olatry.
    Perhaps it is no wonder that the Hebrew scriptures hold idolatry as one of the most deadly things.

• Peter says:

Hi Victor,
      Thank for taking the time to read and respond to my post.
      Bless you
      The Listening Hermit

6. Rev. Brian Krushel says:

Klesio…ecclesia…I like it! A very interesting insight. But, what I wonder is how this might be proclaimed among our congregations and our people in such a way that it empowers them for the daily living of their faith. In other words, so what? I don’t mean that sarcastically or as an insult, but I want to get beyond railing against how closed or closed-minded the church can be (I’ve preached that lots and read it even more) and get to how it changes lives beyond being more open to the usual liberal concerns (GLBTQ persons, religious pluralism, etc.) Obviously I have more work to do before Sunday. Thanks for getting the juices flowing!

• Peter says:

Hi Brian
      Thanks for taking the time to comment.
      Yes, the three words that make for great preaching ‘ey?
      Application, Application, Application.
      I guess we each know our contexts best, but I have found that close and meaningful pastoral contact creates the bridges that I can cross in inviting people out of fear.
      Bless your preparation
      The Listening Hermit

7. Eugene A. Koene says:

My first visit to your site — some wonderful insights here that I hope I can make use of in my preaching this Sunday as I struggle with a text that has been preached to death on this Sunday of the year. — As a pro-life leftist post-modern evangelical catholic, there is one point at which I bristle in your presentation: that the church is ghettoed by fear of “abortionist baby-killers.” If the human fetus in the womb could have conscious thoughts and knowledge of what lies outside, it would surely have a justifiable fear of the abortion provider. To be true to herself, the Church must identify with these last and least, these nameless, voiceless ones, and do all in her power to curtail the mass destruction of developing human life (short of blanket prohibition in cases involving the life of the mother). It is forever a mystery to me how persons in the “liberal” wings of Christianity, who are on the right side of so many issues — persons whom I love and respect — can so cavalierly justify this inhuman holocaust. “Ghettoed by fear”? No. Shouting Yes to Life — Yes!

8. Lizette says:

stunning! thank you!

9. Lauren K says:

Thank you so much! This was such a great read, and a great springboard for sermonizing?

10. Andrea LJ says:

I’m also intrigued by the etymology, “called out” or “not closed.” Keep on digging and listening…the notes you catch add much to the melody I’m learning to hear more clearly.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 513 other followers